Fat, oil and grease, more commonly known as FOG in the restaurant and food business, are substances that are regulated by local governments. Commercial kitchens are required to install grease traps or grease interceptors at any drain where FOG can enter the wastewater system. Grease traps are installed between the restaurant drain and the sewer line, thereby allowing the FOG to be separated, collected and disposed of prior to reaching the municipal wastewater system.
Grease traps work by slowing the rate of water going into the drain. As the water slows, it also cools, allowing most of the FOG to float or coagulate and then float to the surface to be trapped in a baffle system. Heavier solids will drop to the bottom of the trap and cleaned water can then exit into the wastewater system.
When FOG is not properly captured with a grease trap, local municipal sewer systems require higher maintenance and costs. If minimum standards are exceeded, commercial food establishments can be fined. Records of regular grease trap maintenance are important.
Maintenance is an important service that needs to be done on a scheduled basis. Best Plumbing can assist with regular grease trap cleaning of commercial kitchen grease traps. Using our service regularly will provide you with necessary paperwork for your records.
Reduce the FOG in your food business by:
- Installing grease traps at every drain where FOG may enter the drain system.
- Set up maintenance service on a regular basis with Best Plumbing.
- Instruct employees to discard FOG material in the trash bins instead of the drains.
- Use of hot water, surfactants or enzymes to pass FOG through the grease trap is prohibited in many municipalities.
Best Plumbing offers a full range of maintenance and repair services for commercial food businesses:
- Installation of grease traps and grease interceptors
- Maintenance and repair of grease traps and entire building plumbing
- In-line video inspections
- Cleaning of drains and grease traps and interceptors
Our professional design and plumbing team can help plan, install and maintain your grease trap system. Please give us call if you are building, remodeling or just adding a grease trap or grease interceptor.